Apparently, Black Friday is a cultural phenomenon so ubiquitous
right now that articles about waiting line playlists are published by
respectable news sites. I’m not angry (as many of my previous posts would like
to prove otherwise), I am merely baffled. Yes, saving money in an expensive
society (very much preoccupied with monetary gain) can be nice…and also lead to
Battle Royal style battles between normal (I hope) sane individuals. I tend to
avoid lines whenever possible due to my tendency to dislike camping in front of
a Best Buy for the privilege of braining some poor bastard that I might get my hands
on a TV at a severely reduced price.
I think a good many artistic opportunities lie in the Black Friday
phenomenon. I’ve seen plenty of institutional critique pieces about rampant
consumerism, but none have been directly tied to Black Friday.
As for things to do in line…I just misquote Macbeth “This
line doth stretch on till the end of time”…that’s about all I got.
No comments:
Post a Comment