I think it’s safe to say that the American populace was an
unhealthy relationship with Hollywood stars
and their appearances. I don’t know about you, but I don’t think the fact that Taylor Swift being seen in public without
makeup on or that Lady Gaga was spotted dressed as a fucking human being are
newsworthy. It’s a strange obsession with beauty, or at least superficial
beauty. This is what Matthew Rolston's “Talking Heads” project is addressing
(or that’s what I’m taking from it). By gussying up (or not) ventriloquist
dummies in the style of Hollywood stars of
yesteryear (and a few from today) we get a kind of unsettling imagery that some
claim to be hauntingly bea—GHA! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?
IT.KNOWS.THINGS.
Sweet mercy! Those things creep me right the
fuck out. Which is good. Art should elicit and emotional reaction, something I try
to do with me writing (mainly by being an irreverent ass, but hey, still a
reaction). This certainly elicits a reaction…it’s the eyes. Seriously, some
kind of hell-dimension creature is using ventriloquist dummies to spy on
humanity…I just know it…no inanimate eyes can look so dead yet so knowing at the
same time (*shudders and tries to think of happy things like unicorns and
shit*). Sorry…I got off topic for a moment. In all seriousness though, I do think this project is very
interesting and I’m for some social commentary leveled at our fascination with Hollywood stars. You can see for youself here

No comments:
Post a Comment