The debate has raged for several years (hell, decades at
this point) of whether video games are art. My stance has always been, and will
always be barring some quantum crazy world altering shit, that video games are
capable of being art. I view them as a medium for artistic expression on many,
many different levels. But like films and novels and even some paintings and
photographs, I think it is possible to not be art as well. What I’m saying is
not every game made is a piece of art. But I do believe that many can be art
either by actively being as so (the work of Jenova Chen) or unintentionally (the
early works of Shigeru Miyamoto, the
man behind Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda). But my personal views
aside, I bring this up now because the Museum
of Modern Art in New York has just announced that they’ll be
adding video games to their collection. Classics like Pac-Man and Pong will
also be joined by more modern examples such as Portal and Katamari Damacy
(which is just bat-shit crazy fun and hilarious).
One of the Best Villians in History
Take a look here
for the whole story and a complete list of all the games being added. I think it’s
a fine list but why no Ico or Shadow of the Colossus?

No comments:
Post a Comment